NASHVILLE. Haldex is bringing its 22.5-in. ModulT air disc brake (ADB) for trailers to the U.S. market after long experience in Europe; the first member of the ModulT family to be introduced in North America, noted Jeffrey Stokes, Haldex’s global produce manager for disc brakes, during a press conference here at the 2016 Technology & Maintenance Council (TMC) annual meeting.
“The ModulT has been in production since April 2011 and we’ve sold more than 1 million units globally,” Stokes said, with the rest of the Modul family, including 19.5-in. and 22.5-in. ADB sizes for trucks and buses, to follow shortly.
“We believe it is more closely aligned with the [trailer brake] market needs,” he said
Haldex believes several key features of the ModulT trailer ADB design will make it attractive to U.S. fleets:
- It weighs 70 lbs., including pads.
- It features a wide single-piston mechanism, which is able to achieve performance equal to twin-piston mechanisms, thus boosting braking power while evening out load distribution on the brake pads.
- Because the mechanism’s bellows seal is inverted, it protects itself against heat radiation, stones and other debris.
- The Modul T ADB mechanism lever uses double roller bearings to keep hysteresis or “fade” low, which results in high efficiency and provides greater control and stability during braking.
- The floating light-weight caliper slides on two completely environmentally sealed stainless steel slide pin, using steel PTFE-coated bushings and trailing composite bushings to lower caliper sliding friction.
- The brake’s slide function is lubrication-free and sealed for life so it doesn’t require grease service.
- The bolt-less brake pad retainer requires no special tools to replace the brake pads and the entire ModulT ADB design includes only two fastening bolts and no mechanism cover plate to help trim weight.
- Optional Pad Wear Indicator (PWI), which warns of a worn out pad, or an optional Pad Wear Sensor (PWS), which minimizes pad inspection time and costs, are offered.
“We feel the ModulT is the perfect solution for fleets looking for high efficiency with greater control and stability for a long service life with lower total cost of ownership,” Stokes said.