LOUISVILLE. Owners of Freightliner and Western Star trucks powered by a Detroit DD15 or DD16 engine now have an option for a more powerful starter from Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America, Inc.
The full-featured Diamond Power S60 (DPS60) starter increases both starter and battery life through improved thermal durability and lower current draw, the company said. Available through all North American heavy-duty truck dealers and many aftermarket distributors, the starter comes with the Diamond Gard no-fault warranty.
“Our new DPS60 was developed specifically to address a need for an alternative starter for Freightliner and Western Star trucks built since 2010 with DD15 and DD16 engines. This is the most powerful starter we have ever offered,” said Dave Stone, executive director, Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America Heavy-Duty operations. “This new starter, part number FL0189, gives Mitsubishi Electric full starter coverage on nearly all Freightliner and Western Star trucks built since 1998.”
Features of the starter include:
- Faster cranking speeds in cold weather from increased power and cranking torque
- Longer battery life due to a 15 percent reduction in current draw, resulting in less battery discharge while cranking
- High-efficiency design allowing longer cranking times – no need for over-crank protection
- Improved thermal durability that provides longer starter life
- Improved corrosion resistance, lasting three times longer than previous models
Additional applications beyond Freightliner and Western Star will be announced soon.