Ram Truck is rolling out a new off-road package for its Ram 2500 HD pickup at the Chicago Auto Show this week: an optional beefed up 4x4 suspension for short- and long-wheelbase Ram 2500 crew cab and mega cab models, powered by either gasoline or diesel engines.
The OEM added that the new Ram 2500 4x4 off-road package will be offered on all trim levels – including Tradesman, SLT, Big Horn/Lone Star, Outdoorsman, Laramie, Laramie Longhorn and Limited – and will become available in the third quarter this later.
“Truck customers require a wide range of off-road capability options,” noted Bob Hegbloom, head of the Ram Truck division within Fiat Chrysler Automobile (FCA) North America, in a statement. “Anyone who spends most days on the outskirts of a job site or the weekend on the shore of a favorite fishing hole will benefit from the standard features on our new Ram 2500 4x4 off-road package.”
Those features include:
- Bilstein monotube shock absorbers to soak up the bumps at all four corners and distribute excessive heat that can be generated when driving rough sections for extended periods of time.
- Firestone LT 275/70R 18E OWL on/off-road tires for added traction, with some models spec’d with Firestone LT 285/60R 20E OWL on/off-road tires.
- Transfer case skid plate at the lowest mid-point of the truck to prevent underbody strike damage.
- Hill-decent control, to help drivers control speed down steep grades using the buttons on the column shifter and without the need to use the throttle or brake pedals.
- A rear anti-spin differential, which turns both rear wheels in tandem when increased torque is applied.