Thirty-two professional truck drivers have been chosen finalists for the 2015-2016 America’s Road Team Captains, said the American Trucking Assns. (ATA).
The 32 now move on to the final round of the selection process, which will be held Jan. 11-14 in Arlington, VA. A panel of industry officials and trucking news media will judge the contestants on their knowledge of the trucking industry, dedication to safety, ability to communicate the industry’s messages and overall safe driving record.
“The professional drivers selected as finalists are great industry ambassadors,” said Bill Graves, ATA president and CEO. “These professionals all have impressive driving records, share a passion for safety and are engaged in their communities. We are honored to have them participate in this prestigious selection process and I look forward to meeting them in January.”
America’s Road Team, a group of professional truck drivers with superior safety records, was created in 1986 to represent the trucking industry and is sponsored by Volvo Trucks.
The newly chosen 2015-2016 America’s Road Team will be announced on Jan. 14. New Captains, after receiving their signature navy blue America’s Road Team blazer, will begin working to share the industry’s message of safety, essentiality and sustain-ability with the motoring public, news media, business and community leaders, public officials and their fellow drivers across the nation.
To be nominated to serve as an America’s Road Team Captain, professional truck drivers must be employed or leased to an ATA member company. Each nominee should have an excellent safety record, and should demonstrate an ability to communicate his or her commitment to safety and passion for the industry. Nominees should also portray a positive image of the professional truck driver in all that they do.
The finalists include:
- Paul D. Brandon, Fed Ex Freight, Oxford, Conn.
- Henry Bruster, UPS Freight, Woodville, Miss.
- Richard Buitrago, Con-way Freight, Kissimmee, Fla.
- Gary Lee Capps, UPS Freight, Grantsville, Utah
- Kenneth J. Clark, YRC Freight, Desoto, Mo.
- David Conkling, Werner Enterprises, Metairie, La.
- Charles E. Demchock, II, Walmart Transportation, Cocoa, Fla.
- Eric Flick, FedEx Freight, Dayton, Nev.
- David Green, Werner Enterprises, Hot Springs, Ark.
- Neil Kirk, Penske Logistics, Middletown, N.Y.
- Randall Luschen, Weinrich Truck Line, Inc., Merrill, Iowa
- Clarence Wilburn Lyons YRC Freight, Halton City, Texas
- Thomas McIntosh, YRC Freight, Aurora, Colo.
- John McKown, UP Freight, East Berlin, Penn.
- Tim W. Melody, ABF Freight System Inc., Payette, Idaho
- Chad Miller, ABF Freight System, Inc., Crown Point, Ind.
- Bill Minor, Con-way Freight, West Milwaukee, Wis.
- Brent Quire, Con-way Freight, New Albany, Ind.
- Eric Ramsdell, Walmart Transportation, Whitmann, Ariz.
- Terry Rankins, Weinrich Truck Line, Inc., Tollesboro, Ky.
- Paul Savill, UPS Freight, Hamilton, Ohio
- Gary Schmidt, Cliff Viessman, Inc., Fergus Falls, Minn.
- Russell Simpson, Holland, Inc., South Vienna, Ohio
- Danny Smith, Big G Express, Inc., Shelbyville, Tenn.
- Clarence Taylor, Walmart Transportation, North Chesterfield, Va.
- Stanley J. Thrasher, Danny Herman Trucking, Inc., Boaz, Ala.
- Brian K. Turner, Old Dominion Freight Line, Newport, Tenn.
- Tim Vogt, Con-way Freight, Loganville, Ga.
- Kirk Weis, ABF Freight System, Inc., Rio Rancho, N.M.
- William West, ABF Freight System, Inc., Roopville, Ga.
- Derrick Whittle, Cargo Transporters, Inc., Fieldale, Va.
- Scott D. Woodrome, FedEx Freight, Middletown, Ohio