Low founded Prime in 1970 and now operates more than 4,000 trucks and 7,300 trailers. During his tenure with TCA, Low has served as Refrigerated Division chairman, at-large officer, secretary, second vice chair, and first vice chair. He has participated in numerous committees and management panels, including the Carrier/Shipper Relations Committee, the Driver Recruitment and Retention Panel, and the Financial Oversight and Long-Range Planning Committee, among others.
Low said he will focus on the health and wellness of drivers during his 2012-2013 term.
“Statistics show that our drivers die way too young,” he said. “Smoking, obesity, lack of exercise, sleep apnea… these are severe issues that can — and should — be addressed. We want to attract the best drivers, retain them, and then take care of them once they’re a part of the trucking family. TCA can provide the necessary education, resources and programs to help our members help their people.
“I’ve been a proud participant in TCA’s many efforts to enhance the public’s image of trucking, and now I’m hoping we can reach out todrivers and potential drivers to build up their perceptions about a career in the industry,” said Low. “The mortality age of an over-the-road driver should not be less than non-drivers… it just isn’t right, and it doesn’t have to be that way! We can help drivers make better choices, exercise more, eat better and take care of themselves despite the nature of their jobs. We can make a difference for our drivers; we can help save the lifeblood of our industry.”
Other officers elected at the convention include:
- First Vice Chair: Tom B. Kretsinger, Jr., President & COO, American Central Transport, Inc., Liberty, Mo.
- Second Vice Chair: Shepard Dunn, President & CEO, Bestway Express, Inc.,Vincennes, Ind.
- Treasurer: Keith Tuttle, President, Motor Carrier Service, Inc., Northwood, Ohio
- Secretary: Russell Stubbs, President, FFE Transportation Services, Inc., Dallas, Texas
- Assn. Vice President to ATA: Barry E. Pottle, President & CEO, Pottle’s Transportation, Inc., Bangor, Maine
- Immediate Past Chair: Gary Salisbury, President & CEO, Fikes Truck Line, Inc., Hope, Ark.
- At-Large Officer: Daniel I. Doran, President, Ace Doran Hauling & Rigging,Cincinnati, Ohio
- At-Large Officer: Daniel L. Oren, Vice President, Dart Transit Company, Eagan, Minn.
- At-Large Officer: Rob Penner, Vice President, Bison Transport, Winnipeg, Manitoba
- At-Large Officer: Thomas Witt, President, Roehl Flatbed & Specialized, Roehl Transport, Marshfield, Wisc.