SOPUS Products announced it has added 50/50 pre-diluted coolant products that have been undertreated with bitterant to the coolant return program it initiated on March 25. As a result, the list of products for the coolant return program has been updated.
SOPUS Products is requesting the return of the following products:
- ShellZone DEX-COOL Extended Life 50/50 Pre-diluted Antifreeze/Engine Coolant in 55-gallon drums and one-gallon bottles--all batches produced before April 8, 2016
- Specific batches Shell ROTELLA ELC Nitrite-Free 50/50 Pre-diluted Antifreeze/Engine Coolant in 275-gallon totes, 55-gallon drums and one-gallon bottles. Affected product varies by manufacturing facility; check for information on any batches produced before April 8, 2016 at www.rotella.com/productreturn.
- Shell ROTELLA ELC 50/50 Pre-diluted Antifreeze/Engine Coolant in 275-gallon totes (Batch #2877558U063) 55-gallon drums (Batch #2877558U063), 1-gallon bottles (Batch #2877558U063 and #INDT 2660908)
- Shell ROTELLA Ultra ELC 50/50 Pre-diluted Antifreeze/Engine Coolant in 55-gallon drums and 1-gallon bottles (all batches produced before March 16, 2016).
- Shell ROTELLA Ultra ELC Antifreeze/Coolant Concentrate in 55-gallon drums (Batch #B2811293U063)
“We initiated this return program because these products were undertreated with bitterant, an additive used to render the product unpalatable,” the company stated. “If any of these products are already installed in a cooling system, they do not need to be drained or replaced; it is important to note that the lack of bitterant has no impact on product performance. The one-gallon bottles of these products have warnings on the label and child-resistant closures.”
Shell ROTELLA Ultra ELC 50/50 Pre-diluted, Shell ROTELLA Ultra ELC Concentrate, and Shell ROTELLA ELC Pre-diluted 50/50 Antifreeze/Engine Coolants are formulated to be extended-life antifreeze/coolants in the heavy-duty engines found in on- and off-highway vehicles, and in marine, farm, mining and construction equipment. Shell ROTELLA ELC Nitrite Free (NF) Pre-diluted 50/50 antifreeze/coolant is formulated to be extended-life antifreeze/coolants for commercial and mixed fleet use with medium and heavy duty diesel, gasoline, and natural gas vehicles, passenger cars and light duty trucks. ShellZone DEX-COOL Extended Life Pre-diluted 50/50 Antifreeze/Engine Coolant is formulated as an extended life passenger car and light truck antifreeze/coolant.
“We request that distributors, customers and retailers remove these specific products from their inventory, segregate them from saleable products and return or recycle it,” the company added. “Consumers who have product in their possession should visit www.ROTELLA.com/productreturn to begin a claim process. Open product should then be taken to their local recycling facility or auto parts store to be recycled. Additional instructions around recycling can be found at www.earth911.com/recycling-guide/how-to-recycle-automotive-fluids/.”