At around 3:45 a.m. today a gasoline tanker crash ignited the vehicle’s 8,600-gallon payload at a freeway overpass in Oakland, CA. Flames flew well over 200-ft., melting the highway above until it collapsed onto the Interstate below in Oakland, CA. The accident occurred at a critical highway junction known as the MacArthur Maze, at Westbound I-80 to Southbound I-880, and led to the destruction of a 170-ft. section of Eastbound I-80 to Eastbound -880, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP).
The driver, James Mosqueda, 51, of Woodland, CA, sustained second-degree burns to his face, hands and arms and was transported to a local hospital. Mosqueda was hauling his load from a refinery in Benecia to a gas station off of Hagenberger. He works for Sabek Trucking, based in San Francisco.
Speeding was a factor in the accident, according to CHP.
Alternate routes for MacArthur maze are as follows:
- From San Francisco to Hayward travel Eastbound I-80 to Southbound I-880.
- From San Francisco to Walnut Creek travel Eastbound I-80 and exit to West Grand, go left onto NorthGate St., enter on ramp to Eastbound I-580 towards SR-24, then take E SR-24 to I-680.
- From San Francisco to Sacramento take E I-80 to Sacramento (no detour).
- From San Francisco to East Bay take S US-101 to Eastbound SR-92, then go to either North- or Southbound I-880.
- From San Francisco to East Bay (second alternate) take Southbound US-101 to Eastbound SR-84, then go to Northbound or Southbound I-880.
- From San Francisco to East Bay (third alternate) take Northbound US-101 to Richmond/San Rafael Bridge Eastbound I-580.
- From Richmond to San Jose take Westbound I-80 to E I-580, then go to Westbound I-980 to Southbound I-880.
- From Richmond to San Francisco take Westbound I-80 to San Francisco Bay Bridge (no detour).
- From San Francisco to East Bay take Eastbound I-80 and exit to the Albany/Buchanon ramp, turn left under the freeway, take a left onto Westbound I-80, then go to Eastbound I-580