James March, a driver based in Lancaster, PA, for Yellow Transportation, took top honors at the National Truck Driving Championship this past weekend in Milwaukee. March beat out over 340 other professional truck drivers to claim the Grand Championship title.
The contest is comprised of the winners from state truck driving competitions in nine truck types. In the national competition, drivers must navigate a variety of driving scenarios, including an alley dock, a rear line stop, a side park, a scales stop, a right turn, a front line stop and straight line driving through a diminishing clearance.
The winners in each competition class were:
- Auto Transporter: Joseph Hoffman, Hadley Auto Transport, Arizona
- Five-Axle: John Plumer, Wal-Mart, New Hampshire
- Flatbed: John Roberts, Publix Supermarkets, Florida
- Four-Axle: Larry Breen, Wal-Mart, Florida
- Five-Axle Sleeper: Ben Moore, Wal-Mart, Georgia
- Straight Truck: David Murphy, Yellow Transportation, Idaho
- Tank Truck: Dale Knox, Con-Way Central Express, Pennsylvania
- Three-Axle: Richard Seigle, Roadway Express, Illinois