Closing Saturday, July 14 at 11:30 p.m., the following routes will re-open around midnight Sunday:
- Northbound University Drive at I-595
- Westbound State Road 84 from S.R. 7 to Pine Island Road
- Westbound I-595 from University Drive to Pine Island Road
- Eastbound I-595 on-ramps from Weston Road to University Drive
- Florida’s Turnpike ramp to westbound I-595 and westbound S.R. 84
- S.R. 7 ramps to westbound I-595 and westbound S.R. 84
Westbound I-595 users can still drive north or south on University Drive and Eastbound I-595 drivers can still take southound University Drive.
The southbound University Drive flyover at I-595 will also close Saturday at 11:30 p.m. and won’t re-open again until November, prior to Thanksgiving.
The closures are necessary for road workers to raise the flyover ramp connecting southbound University Dr. with eastbound I-595 and is one part of FDOT’s I-595 Express Corridor Improvements Project, a $1.8 billion makeover to the main east-west corridor through Central Broward County, according to CBS4′s news partner The Miami Herald.
Construction on other parts of the highway will continue nightly, including the addition of other lanes and the installation of street lights along the highway between State Road 7 and Interstate 75.
FDOT warns drivers to be careful and alert while driving past construction areas, particularly at night when lanes are closed or redirected.
The entire project is scheduled to be completed in March 2014.