Rand McNally has released its newest product in its GPS line of devices, this one enabled with WiFi connectivity to allow for real-time weather updates and other information.
The IntelliRoute TND 720 is a 7-in. device that also includes a ruggedized casing, video input, and brighter screen, the company said. To use the WiFi, drivers simply use their enabled smartphones as a hotspot.
Weather conditions can be displayed on a map and along a route, allowing drivers to anticipate delays. The system provides a view of real-time weather situations such as storms, wind speeds, and chance of precipitation that may impact the route or delivery times.
“The TND 720 is a big step forward in navigation devices designed for professional drivers with the addition of hardware upgrades and WiFi enabled features,” said Dave Muscatel, CEO. “We understand the unique challenges unforeseen weather presents for professional drivers. Our new weather solution will enable drivers to proactively manage this issue.”
Other new features of the system include:
- Enhanced truck routing, including new routing options, such as avoiding state or province and avoiding dirt roads, for added flexibility on reaching the destination
- Exits quick view that gives drivers a button on the map screen to find truck-friendly locations off the upcoming exits along a route
- Fuel logging for tracking purchases and fuel use
- “Bread-crumb” trails that record and display paths traveled – useful on or off roads
- Increased map customization options that allowing drivers to personalize the way their map appears, specify icons, and import third-party POIs into their device.
The new TND 720 includes all of the features and functionality from earlier models including on-duty driving timers, state mileage recorders, virtual dashboard, junction view with lane assist, ability to download construction and software updates, and advanced truck-specific routing containing 35% more truck routing information than other GPS units.