Michelin North America is introducing its Uniroyal brand of low-cost tires to the U.S. commercial truck market, targeting “owner-operators and small fleets that are price conscious – who want reliable tires at affordable prices,” noted Donna Murphy, business segment manager for Uniroyal Commercial Truck Tires, during an online press conference.
She added that the Uniroyal truck tire line will consist of six tread designs with 28 sizes:
- The LS24 SmartWay-verified long-haul all-position tire optimized for the steer axle;
- The LT40 long-haul and regional trailer tire;
- The RS20 SmartWay-verified regional all-position tire optimized for the steer axle on either straight trucks or Class 8 rigs;
- The RD30 regional and long-haul drive tire;
- The HS50 on-/off -road all-position tire optimized for the steer axle, but also ideal for lift axles and specialty bulk trailers that need on/off road capability;
- The HD60 on-/off-road drive tire.
Murphy noted that 26 of those 28 tires sizes are available now – “We began shipping those tires this past week, so they will be in the marketplace within next few days if not there already,” she said – with the other two sizes (one the RS20 category and the other an HS50 size) available by March 1.
At this time, however, Uniroyal will not be offering a wide-base tire, she stressed.
Murphy pointed out that the DuraShield construction underpinning Uniroyal trucks tires should help elevate their durability, dependability and retreadability.
“Three strategic features — including pyramidal steel belts, insulating belt edge strips and a heavy gauge inner liner — work together to reduce stress, promote endurance and protect the tire’s casing,” she said, adding that Uniroyal's new tire line is covered by a four-year manufacturer’s limited warranty, with certain tires used in long-haul and regional applications covered by a one-retread limited warranty.
“Warranty coverage provides the confidence to try a new tire,” Murphy said.