The Illinois Tollway is moving ahead on construction of the Elgin O’Hare Western Access project following final approvals by the state legislature, according to a Tollroads News report. The $3.4 billion project will connect the Addams I-90 and the Tristate I-294 Tollways along the western side of the airport, and provide a new link to the west — about 11 miles of 2x3 lane toll expressway in total.
The project involves:
- 6.3 miles of expressway of north-south expressway I-90 to I-294 on the west side of the Airport.
- 4.4 miles of expressway west from this peripheral to I-290 where it connects to the Elgin-O’Hare Expressway.
- Four new expressway-to-expressway interchanges.
- Eight new or modernized expressway to surface arterial interchanges.
- New access ramps to the west side of the Airport.
- Widening and rehab of associated or adjacent roadways.
The new expressways to be equipped for all-electronic tolling, the first in the Chicago area.