Here is a look at what is happening in transportation today:
- Bloomberg reports on Maine Sen. Susan Collins and her help in getting changes to the hours-of-service rules in the latest budget bill passed over the weekend.
- GM and Ford are considering electric pickups, according to a report from egmCarTech.
- A trucking fleet in Oakland, CA, explains why deploying technology that monitors drivers and vehicle conditions is a benefit to everyone and not an intrusion into privacy. The San Jose Mercury News reports.
- The Bellingham Herald takes a look inside a package delivery facility during the holidays, capturing all the hustle and bustle to get packages to their destinations on time.
- High-end pickup trucks are boosting the bottom lines of the Big 3 automakers, reports the Pensacola News Journal.
- A proposed weight-distance fee and fuel surcharge in Tennessee would hit out-of-state truckers, say backers of the proposals, notes the Times Free Press.
- It’s a faceoff between truckers and shippers over fuel surcharges, says Bloomberg News.