Nov. 30 is the deadline for nominations for the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company’s North America 2012 Highway Hero Program.
Convinced that trucking’s “bad apples” receive the majority of attention while the “good guys” generally are overlooked, Goodyear launched the Highway Hero Program to honor and publicize those truck drivers who clearly qualify for the rare label of “hero.” The program began in 1983 as a grassroots effort to elevate the image and public awareness of the responsible elements in the trucking industry.
An annual nationwide search is conducted each year with nominations accepted from the general public, trucking companies and law enforcement agencies for truckers who have clearly gone above and beyond the call of duty in performing heroic rescues or outstanding acts of humanitarianism. A panel of transportation media representatives and industry officials judges nominations.
“The program’s goal is to inform the broadest possible public audience of the heroic deeds performed by North America Highway Hero nominees, thereby improving the image of the trucking industry and its drivers,” according to Goodyear. Nominations from among the 50 states and all the provinces of Canada are accepted.
The nomination form is available at http://www.goodyear.com/truck/news/hero_overview.html.
If you are unable to access the form online, you may obtain one by calling the Goodyear Highway Hero Hotline at 330-796-8183. Send completed forms to Goodyear Highway Hero Award Headquarters, Dept. 798A, 1144 E. Market Street, Akron, OH 44316.
All nominations are reviewed to ensure the following criteria are met:
• Nominee must be a full-time truck driver
• Nominee must reside in the U.S. or Canada
• The incident must have occurred in the U.S. or Canada
• Nominee must be on the job or on the way to or from work, and in his/her rig at the time of the incident
• Nominee’s truck at the time of the incident must have 14 wheels or more
• Nominations must be received by November 30, 2011
• The incident must have occurred between November 16, 2010 and November 15, 2011 to qualify for this year’s program