Dale Duncan, a Con-way Freight professional truck driver based in Chula Vista, CA, was named the 2006 National Truck Driving Grand Champion, in an American Trucking Assns.-sponsored event held in New Orleans.
Duncan competed with 381 other drivers across the U.S. in driving skills and knowledge of transportation and truck safety information. Duncan has driven for Con-way Freight for 16 years, logging 1.1 million accident-free miles.
The contestants were the state champions in eight truck types from all 50 states. In their respective classes, drivers tested their expertise in the driving skills they use daily.
Duncan also won the individual tank truck driving competition. Joining Duncan as champions in their respective classes:
- Five-Axle: James Hines, Wal-Mart Transportation, Richmond, VA.
- Five-Axle Sleeper: Ryland Hogan, Wilson Trucking Corp., Stuarts Draft, VA.
- Four-Axle: Mark Hassemer, Yellow Transportation, Whitelaw, WI.
- Three-Axle: Daniel Shamrell, FedEx Freight, Battle Ground, WA.
- Twins: Robert French, Con-way Freight, Bland, VA.
- Flatbed: Anthony Spero, ABF Freight System, Stratford, CT.
- Straight Truck: Randy DeVault, Roadway, Hartford, ME.
Timothy Cohen, a three-axle driver for FedEx Ground from Stafford, CT., was named 2006 Rookie of the Year. Bruce Green, a five-axle driver for Yellow Transportation from Lenexa, KS, won the 2006 Professional Excellence Award. Daniel Shamrell of FedEx Freight also won the 2006 Neill Darmstadter Vehicle Condition Award.
The Maine state truck driving championship team won honors as the highest scoring state team, followed by Kansas and Iowa.
For more information, go to www.truckline.com