Freightliner Custom Chassis Corp. (FCCC) has displayed its first “in-use medium-duty dry van” using its propane-autogas S2G chassis.
RH Peterson, a manufacturer of specialty fireplaces and outdoor grills based in City of Industry, CA, took delivery of the truck version in late in 2014.
“We are very pleased with the truck – it has already become a very valuable part of our fleet,” said Dominique Seim, senior managing partner with RH Peterson. “It offers us an outstanding combination of power, fuel efficiency and cost-effectiveness, and our drivers are very complimentary of the overall driving experience. They love the way the truck drives and handles. We’re excited about adding additional trucks to our fleet in the near future.”
The S2G debuted in 2013 as a prototype and began full production at last year’s Work Truck Show, with an initial focus on marketing the truck to the propane delivery segment. FCCC showcased an S2G unit outfitted with a flatbed and crane on its back at Work Truck 2014 to demonstrate the unit’s application versatility.
“We are very excited to see the growth of S2G into additional applications,” said Mike Stark, product manager for FCCC. “We’ve believed all along that other applications and industries would be just as excited about the S2G and its unique benefits as propane distributors have been, so it’s inspiring to see that vision starting to become reality.”
The S2G features:
- 8.0 LPG engine with factory-installed CleanFUEL USA liquid propane system
- 339 hp at 4,100 rpm – peak hp at lower rpm equals better fuel economy
- 495 ft-lb torque @ 3,100 rpm – quicker acceleration and more power for steep hills and inclines
- 30% larger windshield combined with sloped hood provides improved line of sight of 8 feet compared with the competition
- GVWR of up to 33,000 lbs.
- 55-deg. wheel cut for better turning radius
- A chassis that comes with 3-year/50,000-mi. warranty with towing and roadside assistance and 24/7 factory direct customer support.