Instructional Technologies Inc. (ITI) announced the Pro-Defense defensive driving program. The new series of courses is designed to address the increasing amount and types of distractions that professional drivers face on the road.
“The concept of defensive driving hasn't changed much since the mid-1950s," said Laura McMillan, vice president of training development at ITI. "In that time, the roads have gotten more congested, the vehicles faster, and the drivers more distracted and aggressive. The changes mean any single-subject defensive driving course is outdated. Yet, while many of the basic skills still apply to defensive driving, we knew we needed to re-think it with a modern, structured approach. The Pro-Defense program gives drivers the skills, focus and attitude they need to safely navigate modern roads, and protect themselves from the distracted drivers on them."
The Pro-Defense program is a structured system of eight courses that introduce defensive driving and address seven concepts, including:
- Distractions – Instant communication and information systems in today’s vehicles are a leading cause of distracted driving, but far from the only one.
- Effective Communication – Driving predictably and signaling your intentions, as well as reading the intentions of other motorists, can help ensure safety.
- Fatigue Management – Fatigued driving will have a serious impact on reaction times and the ability to operate safely.
- Evaluating Space – Creating a safety zone and constantly checking surroundings is a proven approach to taking appropriate action to avoid collisions.
- Navigating Hazards – Awareness of hazards like distracted drivers, low clearances, merging lanes and changing weather and road conditions means being aware of your surroundings.
- Speed Management -- Driving at a safe speed for road and environmental conditions is one of the most important elements of defensive driving and a key to avoiding crashes.
- Essential Planning – From Interstates to city streets to customer locations, maximizing safety requires planning effectively every day.