SPX Corp. recently debuted a new OTC brand portable diesel particulate filter (DPF) cleaner designed for use in shops or in the field. The compact and lightweight unit is especially well-suited for servicing off-road equipment, according to Eric Adamson, product manager, equipment and heavy-duty tools, SPX service solutions.
The 2010 Tier 4 DPF cleaning requirements created a need for a cleaning system like this, he told Fleet Owner, and priced at just $10,000, it is affordable for even smaller fleets and maintenance shops. Special features include:
- Fully automated operation. Once the cleaning process is started, it can run with minimal operator oversight, according to SPX, freeing the technician to do other work.
- A new “focused air jet” cleaning technology that concentrates a high-pressure stream of air directly into every filter cell rather than simply blowing back and forth over the entire filter surface.
- The flexibility to handle DPFs of various sizes—from 6 inches to 15 ½ inches using shop or compressed air of at least 100 psi.
- Quiet operation
- Three nozzles, two straight for standard “open-face” DPFs and one curved for angled-flange filters.
- A sealable ash-disposal bag system designed to enable technicians to quickly and easily remove and dispose of the particulate matter collected by the cleaner in accordance with environmental regulations.