LOUISVILLE. Two new wide base drive tires and a bus tire will be among the products on display in the Yokohama Tire (YTC) booth this week at the Mid-America Trucking Show here.
The 902L and 709L ultra wide base drive tires and the 104ZR Spec-2, a tire for coaches and buses, will be shown to attendees.
“The theme of our MATS booth is ‘Defining the Future,’” said Rick Phillips, Yokohama senior director, commercial and OTR sales. “New products like the ones we’ll have at MATS will play a big part in our future, especially with the October 2015 opening of our new commercial tire plant in Mississippi.”
According to Phillips, ultra wide base (UWB) tires are part of YTC’s long-term. “We’re seeing more of a demand for them because of the weight savings, which is where fleets can find an immediate benefit. It’s something tangible – they can measure and calculate savings,” he said.
“The 902L long-haul/regional ultra wide base drive tire delivers superior traction and high mileage,” Phillips added. “Its tread design makes a real difference in extreme driving conditions, such as in snow and ice.”
The 902L comes in size 445/50R22.5. It features:
- 27/32 tread depth that creates higher traction while providing extra-long tread life.
- An advanced rubber compound that lowers rolling resistance and reduces heat build-up, which boosts fuel economy.
- Seven circumferential grooves that enhance lateral stability and create long wear with an even footprint.
- A zero-degree mid belt that provides weight distribution for even pressure and increased treadlife.
- A specially-engineered small block and sipe combo that reduce heel-toe wear, increase fuel economy and provide high snow traction.
The 709L on-highway ultra wide base drive tire will be available at the end of the year in 445/50R22.5 size.
“It’s built for long wear and fuel efficiency, thanks to its advanced rubber compound. Plus, its special casing enhances durability for retreading,” Phillips said.
The 709L features:
- Seven serpentine grooves that reduce tread movement, add rigidity and decrease rolling resistance.
- Double Z blocks that increase rigidity to prevent heel-toe wear for a long-, even-lasting tire life while increasing wet and snow traction.
- A 24/32 tread depth that decreases tread block movement for stability, low rolling resistance and increased fuel efficiency.
- A zero-degree mid belt that provides even pressure and weight distribution for increased treadlife and an even footprint.
- The 315/80R22.5 104ZR Spec-2, is an all-position tire for coaches and buses. It features:
A five-rib full-depth tread pattern that delivers a smooth, quiet ride, while its serpentine groove pattern is designed to reduce premature shoulder step-down and irregular wear, and further preserve overall tread life.
Block-shaped stone ejectors that prevent rocks from traveling to the bottom of the grooves, reducing damage to the casing by 25 percent to ensure greater durability and retreadability.
An ultra-wide top steel belt that increases rigidity across the entire tread surface for enhanced durability and to avoid casing damage.