Trucker 7337 Txam 1

Roadway work zone crashes a growing issue in Texas

April 11, 2018
Lone Star state says motorists comprise the majority of work zone fatalities.

The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is highlighting the rise of deadly work zone crashes within the Lone Star state as work zone fatalities increased 9% in 2017 versus 2016, resulting in 199 deaths and 813 serious injuries. Only 4% of those fatalities are comprised of road crew workers, TxDOT noted, with the remaining 96% comprised of motorists, pedestrians and bicyclists.

“We always urge drivers to exercise great caution and obey traffic laws, especially in work zones,” noted TxDOT Executive Director James Bass in a statement. “Doing so helps ensure everyone – motorists and work crews – gets home safely to their loved ones.”

As the Lone Star state’s population continues to boom, the price of progress can mean more than 2,500 active TxDOT work zones at any given time, he added. In 2017, there were 27,148 work zone crashes in Texas, an increase of 5% over 2016. The leading causes of statewide work zone crashes – speeding and driver inattention – are, in TxDOT’s estimation, “entirely preventable.” The agency added that fines in work zones double when workers are present and can cost up to $2,000.

“Roadside crews often work only a few feet from fast-moving traffic,” Bass said. “Driver vigilance is paramount to ensuring the safety of everyone in the work zone. We urge anyone driving through a work zone to minimize distractions, give their full attention to the road and be prepared to slow down or stop on short notice.”

As part of its ongoing Work Zone Awareness campaign, TxDOT also reminds drivers of the “Move Over/Slow Down” law, which requires drivers to move over or slow down when approaching TxDOT crews, law enforcement, emergency vehicles or tow trucks stopped on the roadside or shoulder with flashing blue or amber lights. And again, fines for failing to heed that law can result in fines up to $2,000.

About the Author

American Trucker staff

Voice your opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of FleetOwner, create an account today!

Sponsored Recommendations

Leveraging telematics to get the most from insurance

Fleet owners are quickly adopting telematics as part of their risk mitigation strategy. Here’s why.

Reliable EV Charging Solution for Last-Mile Delivery Fleets

Selecting the right EV charging infrastructure and the right partner to best solve your needs are critical. Learn which solution PepsiCo is choosing to power their fleet and help...

Overcoming Common Roadblocks Associated with Fleet Electrification at Scale

Fleets in the United States, are increasingly transitioning from internal combustion engine vehicles to electric vehicles. While this shift presents challenges, there are strategies...

Report: The 2024 State of Heavy-Duty Repair

From capitalizing on the latest revenue trends to implementing strategic financial planning—this report serves as a roadmap for navigating the challenges and opportunities of ...