The Republican National Convention coming to Madison Square Garden (MSG) in New York City will bring a series of truck checkpoints with it. Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly said there would be barriers surrounding the convention capable of stopping large trucks— and truck bombs— attempting to break through.
Street closures in the immediate vicinity of MSG will begin on Sunday, August 29th and are as follows:
- West 31st to West 33rd Streets from 6th to 9th Avenues will be closed to vehicle traffic. Between 7th and 9th Avenues, pedestrians will need to have a business-related purpose to enter.
- West 32nd between 6th and 7th Avenue will be closed to vehicle traffic. It will become a pedestrian mall, providing access to Penn Station up through Penn Station's 7th Avenue entrance under the MSG marquee. People will be able to enter Penn Station through the entrance at 34th and 7th Avenue but not from 8th Avenue..
- 7th Avenue will be closed from 42nd to 29th Streets during the 13 hours when the convention is in session. At other times, at least one lane will be open in the MSG area and all lanes will be open elsewhere
- 8th Avenue will be closed during the convention hours from 23rd to 34th Streets. Since 31st Street at 8th Avenue will be a designated protest area, additional lane or avenue closures are likely south of that point at other times during the week.
- The MTA will be re-routing bus service on both 7th and 8th Avenues.
The convention will not be in session during rush hour and it has only one session during the day, on Monday August 3 from 10:00am to 1:00pm. The evening sessions will take place Monday through Thursday, from 8:30pm to 11:00pm.
Motorists are advised to avoid the area and to use public transportation if possible. The MTA Long Island Railroad has issued a travel advisory for the convention dates. Parking will be limited. Some on-street parking will be restricted. All trucks and vans will be subject to inspection at spots around the neighborhood. There will be limitations on trucks and vans on certain streets.