INDIANAPOLIS, IN. Workhorse Custom Chassis unveiled its W42 Class 2-4 chassis model here yesterday at the National Truck Equipment Assn.’s Work Truck Show.
The new chassis replaces the venerable P42 chassis that Workhorse purchased from General Motors in 1999 and which, with some modifications, has been the mainstay of its lineup. Workhorse said the “W” designation of the new chassis “represents a whole new level of power, performance and handling” for walk-in trucks.
“We’ve listened to our customers and this chassis stems from what they’ve told us,” said Shane Terblanche, director of commercial strategy. “It’s the same rails but after that, it’s a whole new chassis.”
Terblanche pointed to these key changes:
- New International VT 275 V-6 diesel boasting 200 hp and 440 lbs.-ft. of torque
- High-performance Brembo four-wheel disc brakes
- New Westport Wide Track I-Beam front axle with 50-degree wheel cut has a 5-in. wider track than previous axle for more stability and better handling
- Allison LCT-1000 electronic 5-sp. automatic
- New parabolic taper-leaf suspension springs, front and rear, with custom-tuned shocks
- Rear axle ratio changed from 5.13:1 to 4.63:1 on diesel application for longer driveline life and quieter operation
- New Meritor WABCO four-channel ABS replaces a three-channel system
- New ZF variable-ratio power steering box and ZF belt-driven power steering pump
- Larger radiator and cooling fan
- New Smart Cluster instrument panel with LCD screen for driver and diagnostic information
Along with the new International diesel, the W42 retains the current gasoline engine options of GM Vortec 4.8- and 6.0-liter engines. The new chassis will be offered in GVWR ranges from 9,400 to 14,500 lbs. with wheelbases from 125 to 180 in.
“We are clearly leaving our P42 roots behind us with this chassis,” noted Terblanche. “This represents our next significant move forward in bringing new capabilities to the walk-in truck market. And you can expect more of such moves in the future.”
For more information, go to www.workhorse.com or call toll-free 866-467-7300.