Combining a range of monitoring, safety, routing and entertainment systems in a single dash-mounted package, the Navion R5000 navigational radio has be introduced as an option by Mack Trucks Inc. for its Pinnacle highway and Granite vocational Class 8 truck models. The OEM said the radio packs an array of features into one single device, eliminating the need for aftermarket add-on installation of such items as rear camera displays and navigation systems.
The Navion R5000 integrates up to six separate functions, including safety-related devices and vehicle information and entertainment features yet fits into a standard in-dash radio slot. The radio has a 7-in. color liquid crystal display (LCD) screen that helps post easy-to-read information in a convenient location, according to Jerry Warmkessel, marketing product manager for highway products.
Key functions of the Navion R5000 include:
* Entertainment systems - AM/FM/weather band radio, CD, digital audio inputs for MP3 players, iPods and USB memory devices, and satellite radio controller, with a 200-watt four-channel amplifier.
* Tire pressure monitor - data from wireless transmission of signals from tire-mounted pressure sensors warns drivers when tire pressure is out of pre-set limits; also provides real-time pressure readings for any tire on the tractor and trailer.
* Camera display - images from remote vision and blind spot camera systems are shown on the 7-in. display; the display can be preset for specific actions, such as turn signal activation.
* Navigation system - pre-loaded with street maps for North America and can provide both spoken driving directions using the truck's audio system speakers as well as visual directions on the screen.
* Vehicle system monitor - vehicle performance data is accessed via an SAE J1939 link and is displayed on the screen; system also has customizable alarm screens to alert the driver to out-of-range conditions.
* Trip computer - driver-requested route information, fuel consumption tracking, multiple trip odometers, and speed and distance tracking are available through customizable displays.
"This [radio] allows drivers to view vehicle performance and safety information on one display, while reducing potential driver distraction," says Warmkessel. "For instance, being able to accurately see tire pressures at a glance not only saves time, but increases fuel economy and safety, and reduces tire costs."