Prestolite says its Leece-Neville PowerPro Extreme 12 starters now boast a higher level of dependability and performance through the new iRelay.
“Intelligent” iRelay technology provides programmable protection features that are fully customizable to OEM requirements, and added protection against early life failures caused by a wide range of cranking issues, pinion and ring gear tooth abutments and more.
“Our engineering teams worked very closely with global engine manufacturers and fleets to develop our new iRelay technology,” said Jonathan Smith, assistant director of sales and marketing for Prestolite. “This new capability builds on our commitment to ensure our reliable starters are further protected from premature failure while increasing reliability and performance on the job site, particularly in extreme operating conditions like construction and mining.”
The PowerPro Extreme 12 starter with iRelay technology enables flexibility to adjust specifications to meet OEM requirements for both single and dual starter applications. The feature is a standard SW030 starter control relay with an added electronic module that provides programmable intelligent protection using small microprocessors.
iRelay technology helps to protect the PowerPro Extreme 12 starter from premature failures commonly caused by excessive cranking, under-voltage cranking and pinion and ring gear tooth abutments. Additionally, iRelay technology can help to provide protection from starter engagement into a running engine, under-speed cranking and more.
For dual or triple starter applications found commonly on generators, mining equipment and more, the Extreme 12 starter with iRelay technology includes functionality to prevent single starter operation and helps to monitor starter synchronized operation. In dual or triple applications, iRelay also can help prevent the engine ring gear from pinion milling.
The PowerPro Extreme 12 starter delivers “unmatched” performance in a lightweight package, the company said. Features include:
- 24-volt, 12-kilowatt starting power ideal for diesel engines up to 40 liters in single configuration, up to 85 liters in dual configuration and above 90 liters in triple configuration
- Coverage includes Case, Caterpillar, Cummins, Hitachi, John Deere, Komatsu and MTU
- Robust, high-torque, planetary gear reduction for lighter weight and increased service life
- Lightweight at 36 pounds (16.5 kg)
- -40°C to 125°C ambient operating range
- Fully sealed noseless design to protect against dust, oil and other contaminants
- Excellent performance in wet or dry clutch applications
- Standard or iRelay Integral Magnetic Switch technology to eliminate voltage drops
- Rotatable flange with radial bell housing and high temperature seal to help reduce inventory needs
- Warranty meets or exceeds OE requirements based on application and use